Warning: This is long! :-)
I am now 3 days post transfer. 6 days from pregnancy blood test!
I really want to try and document my IVF experiences with some detail - times, dates, emotions etc.. . I really should have written this days ago!
So here goes-
Friday 5th December - Visited Doc for a scan. Told that FET would be scheduled for Thursday 11th Dec.Yay! Began taking progesterone pessaries (such messy things!!) Told to expect a call from the embrologist on Wed 10th to discuss the thawing of the embryos and give me a progress report.
The rest of the week - 3 days of excitement!!! 2 days of pessimism and a mild dose of depression. And a side order of anxiety! Lots of encouraging words and prayers!!!
Wed 10th - Hubby came home during his lunch break so we could return a bath and shower screen back to the shops. We have been redoing our bathroom and the stuff we bought ended up not fitting. Aggghhh! It's been so frustrating! Luckily the bathroom shop agreed to take it all back and give us a refund. Thankyou! Dh borrowed a friends ute, we loaded it up and made made several trips to the bathroom shop.
At about 2pm, whilst still in the car, i suddenly realised that i had forgotten my mobile phone at home and hadn't checked it for calls all day! Such a silly thing to do since the embrologist would be trying to get hold of me! Luckily at 2.20pm the embrologist called ?Dh's phone. I was so nervous! She told us that the first embroyo hadn't survived the thaw and did she want us to try another one. (On my consent form I had asked to be called before more were thawed). Anyway of course I agreed and she said she would call me again later in the afternoon.
I knew that statistically some embryos don't make it but I was still shocked and spent the next hour very teary and grieving my perfect little blast that didn't make it. I also started thinking that since I now had only 2 embryos left that I should ask for them both to be thawed and put 2 back - since I didn't want to end up with only one frozen and the possibility of if it not making it at a later date and having a cancelled cycle.
So I called the embrologist and asked her. She said my doctor would most likely refuse putting 2 back because of my age and the fact that they were both blasts. And since it's against policy blah blah blah...she also said only half the cells in the second blast made it and she would call me at 7am Thurs to let me know what had happened over night.
Thursday 11th Dec -Fet scheduled for 9am
7am - embrologist called. My second embie didn't make it :-( She was going to thaw the third one and would see us in the clinic at 8.30am.
8.15am- arrived at clinic at 8.15 - still had no idea if ET would go ahead. Popped a Valium and anxiously waited! Tried really hard to stop tears welling up in my eyes!
Taken into the procedure room at 8.45 - still having no clue about how embie had done! The embrologist then came in and said they were going to transfer my last embie!!! So happy he had made it! She showed us the picture (see beautiful pic in last post) and pointed to all the dead cells and to the living cells...I was suddenly very sad again! It didn't sound good to me, but she assured me that once in the uterus the cells can regenerate. I found it hard to come to terms with the fact that I did have 3 'perfect' blastocysts before freezing and now had only a half one left.
Anyway the transfer went well, except the Doc said it was a little tricky since my vagina goes one way and my uterus goes the other! Great! Just what I needed to here in my fragile state!! ;-) I started to cry, I felt so emotional!! Aggghhh! I hate crying when you don't want to. He was very nice and patted me on the leg and then left the room. A few minutes later the nurse came in and said I could go when I was ready - I said, 'What you mean? Is it over?". Ha ha - i thought the doctor had only put the catheter in and was still coming back to finish the transfer. Between my hubbys soothing hand holding, head patting, my relaxation breathing and the valium - i think I must of zoned out a bit :-)
I also asked the nurse if I could stay lying down a bit longer - I told her I was scared to move!! She went on to explain the the uterus is like a pear, the lining fills it all up so the embryo won't just fall out. She explained it more technically :-) It didn't help though - I still wanted to lie there all day!!!
My dh was so great during the whole thing! I think he'll cope pretty well during labour :-)
So after we paid, dh pulled the car up outside. I wanted to lie down in the back, but ended up reclining my seat back and putting my feet up on the dash.
When I got home I lay in bed and watched Gilmore Girls Season 7...all day!!! I seriously overdosed on it!
So far the 2WW wait is going well - i'm not thinking about it too much and trying to stay busy. I'm sure i'll start going a little crazy next week and start peeing on lots of sticks!
Well done if you read this far ! Hopefully i'll be able to catch up on some blog reading and find out how you are all going soon!
April 2022
3 years ago

5 comments:
So glad the transfer went well!! Praying for that BFP in a week!!!
makingmemom.blogspot.com
I was so just like you the first transfer I did. But even now I want to lay a bit before leaving so soon. Anyway we are 2ww buddies now. I am suppose to test 12-23 or 24th....thinking of you my friend.
Oh, Anita! I'm thrilled for you, hon:) Thanks for sharing exactly how it all went down. I can't wait to hear about your BFP. Keep writing!
Hi Anita, thanks for stopping by my blog. Looks like we're the same age and while not on the exact same journey, both looking to become moms soon and are standing on our faith. Exciting that you are in your 2ww!!!! Hope to hear good news from you soon.
What a crazy go until the transfer. That would have been so nerve-wracking!! Wishing you the best during the 2ww.
~~HUGS~~
Post a Comment