Thursday, April 9, 2009

what not to eat?

A new cycle, a new look and a new name!

Paranoia has set in! I'm fearful of the real lifers finding me :) I'm not ready for that....

...so I have changed my display name to 'neeta' and will now also be signing my comments as 'Hope.Faith.Patience'. I was using my real first name but I googled it the other day along with 'IVF' and found the links to my blog on Lost and Found. ha! I'll just blame the paranoia on the good old Lupron since it's my excuse for most things these day. Laziness. Lethargy. Moodiness. Mild Insanity. Eating copious amounts of chocolate....oh yeah! Whilst on the topic of chocolate - should I be eating it during my cycle?? I know I should avoid caffeine so I'm thinking this might include chocolate. Okay... no more chocolate for meeee!

What has your RE told you that you can and can't eat? My clinic info says, "It is advisable that you avoid Alcohol, caffeine, Coke, Red Bull and the like". There have been so many BPF's out there in blogland lately. I'd love to know what you ladies did or didn't do that you think may have helped your chances.

Also what exercise have you been advised to do, my info says 'Gentle exercise is encouraged during treatment' . I wish they would be more specific :)

Yep! I know I know I should ask my Doc. But i'm sure I'll learn more from all of you lovely internets ;-)

xoxo

11 comments:

Nicole said...

Glad to have you back! And love the new digs!

As for chocolate--IVF is punishment enough without eliminating this little joy. As a treat, I think it's fine.

As for exercise, I was told I could walk during stims, no Yoga or Pilates or even light aerobics (they worry about ovarian torsion and had one as recently as November from doing yoga during stims). Light eliptical would probably also be fine.

Honestly, I know I never felt like doing anything but when I did walk during #3, I felt better.

I'll be watching and waiting with you so keep us posted!

~nicole

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nicole, chocolate is one thing I can't cut out completely. I know it has caffeine, but I'm not eating bucket loads of it. But that's just me.

A said...

yep on second thoughts i think i'll still have some chocolate!

Callie said...

Love the new look! My doctor is pretty chill during the 2WW - just the standards - no caffeine, alcohol, etc. Although this last time, they did include no aspartame on the list, which cuts out my precious Diet Sprite. (I refuse to call it Sprite Zero).

During stims, I limit exercise to walking. Actually, who am I kidding...I pretty much limit my exercise to walking only 99.9% of the time!

Good luck with everything!

Kelli said...

Maybe I was out of the loop, but I was shocked when my RE told me not to each lunch meat without nuking it in the microwave first. Apparently there is a risk of listeria (a bacteria) that can cause problems during pregnancy.
Who knew?

B MoM said...

currently, I'm in the mindset of everything is ok in moderation, including exercise (obviously not alochol and such). I've had 3 pregnancies total. My first was a bit of a surprise and when I MC'd I felt guilty b/c i wasn't a saint in my eating. The 2nd was planned and I was perfect, followed all instructions down to the T. That also MC'd. So now in my third, I'm going to do a happy medium of both.....I hope you find that perfect medium for you.

Caroline said...

I wish I had the answers to the perfect IVF cycle. I too tried so hard to do everything perfectly. My cycle could not have been worse, so next time I am going to loosen up a bit. I think that so much of it is out of our control. I would definitely never go without chocolate! I am really hopeful for you this cycle.

Erica said...

Liking the new look!

I avoid alcohol (this makes me sad) and caffeine. I also do acupuncture and only eat hormone free (organic) meats and dairy. My acupuncturist told me that there is estrogen in non-organic meat and dairy and WE do not need more estrogen once our cycles get started.

Whether these changes result in a pregnancy, only time will tell. But, I do FEEL better and that's never a bad thing. Lots of luck girlie!

I Believe in Miracles said...

For exercise I was told not to break a sweat - keep my heartrate below 120. So I stuck to walking and it worked well until my ovaries got too large and then I stopped.

I can't remember what I ate though... probably no caffeine and no alcohol once I started sims.

~~HUGS~~

Anonymous said...

The only exercise for me during a cycle is lifting my arm to give me the shots... and you can tell!! The reason being I'm a desk-job kinda person and tend to overheat quickly, which is allegedly bad.

I stay away from caffeine when I'm cycling, ideally at least 2-3 months before a stim but usually my willpower only allows me to stop about a week before. There are studies out there that show a definite link between drinking over 200-300mg of caffeine daily and miscarriage, and being the m/c queen, this makes me paranoid. I honestly believe one cup of coffee or tea in the morning does no harm. I totally stay away from some soft drinks, they are loaded with caffeine, artificial sugars and general crap!

I also stop chocolate before transfer, because I tend to prefer dark choc which has higher amounts of cocoa...plus I have PCOS and having all that sugar kinda negates the effects of the metformin I'm on.

as for alcohol, moderate amounts don't do anything. I'm talking a beer or a glass of red a day. in fact, post embryo transfer, our clinic gives us a generous shot of brandy to "Relax" :P

I wish there was some tried and true way to get pregnant and stay pregnant...but seriously, as annoying as it sounds, all it takes is a healthy embryo, the right uterine environment and you're set.

as for exercise...I guess the gentlest exercise I can imagine would be walking or slow swimming...

good luck with the new cycle, love the new look!!

xx

Polly Gamwich said...

You know, I don't put much faith in what to eat/not to eat while cycling ... except to avoid gluten as I'm intolerant and to avoid what my clinic says to avoid: caffiene, alcohol, nicotene (sp?) ... as for exercising ... it's only walking for me! and very minimal walking at that - I've had some pains from movement while stimming so I can't imagine doing somethign more aggressive and putting myself at risk.

Good luck hun, I hope that whatever you decide to eat or not eat, how much you exercise will really help you get through the stress of this cycle!